Hole 16 at Subhapruek Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand is a fantastic par-3 playing over water, to a tightly guarded green. This golf hole is one of the better par-3s in the Kingdom, and an extremely underrated hole. Playing just 146 yards from the back tees, the hole looks from the tee like it will be a pretty simple hole, one that par should be no problem at. However, with all the water surrounding the green, the green sloping back to front, and a very narrow landing area, the hole quickly becomes an interesting challenge.
From the tee, it is possible to see all the green and it looks quite spacious. However, the green is surrounded by water leaving no room to miss the green. There is a bunker on the left hand side between the fringe and the water, so most golfers will choose to aim for the hearty righthand-side of the green. Anything from a pitching wedge to an 8 iron can be played here, depending on the direction and strength of the breeze. Anything short, long or left will end up in the water, so it’s vital to get the correct club for the correct yardage, to ensure you hit the green and avoid a big number!
If you have missed the green and ended up in the water, there is a drop area just forward and right of the tee boxes. Unfortunately however, the approach is no easier as it still is a carry over water the entire way to the green. The pitch is about 70 yards, and still brings all of the trouble seen from the tee box into play – needless to say it’s no easy task to get on from the drop zone, and it’s very possible to dump another ball in the water from the drop zone! Commit to your shot and get it on the green!
The green is slightly sloped back to front. It is not an overly difficult green, and the challenge of this hole is getting on the putting surface in the correct number of shots. From there, it should be a relatively forward 2 putt (if there is such a thing!) and walk away with a par. With such a hole at the end of the round, the 16th at Subhapruek Golf Club can really be a match changer, be it for better or worse! This is definitely a course to include on a Thailand golf holiday, and one that offers excellent value-for-money and great fun.
Have you played the 16th hole at Subhapruek Golf Club? How did you fare? Let us know on Facebook!
All Holes in the Series
1. Hole 9B at Springfield Royal in Hua Hin, Thailand
2. Hole 18 at Nikanti Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand
3. Hole 16 at Sea Pines Golf Course in Hua Hin, Thailand
4. Hole 5 on Sugar Cane at Siam Country Club – Plantation Course in Pattaya, Thailand
5. Hole 15 at Banyan Golf Club in Hua Hin, Thailand
6. Hole 8 at Red Mountain Golf Club in Phuket, Thailand
7. Hole 11 at Black Mountain Golf Club in Hua Hin, Thailand
8. Hole 15 at Chee Chan Golf Resort in Pattaya, Thailand
9. Hole 16 at Subhapruek Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand
10. Hole 18 at Blue Canyon Country Club, Lakes Course in Phuket, Thailand
11. Hole 4B at Chiang Mai Highlands Golf and Spa Resort in Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Hole 8 at Riverdale Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand
13. Hole 18 at Siam Country Club Old Course in Pattaya, Thailand
14. Hole 1 at Alpine Golf & Sports Club in Bangkok, Thailand
15. Hole 10 at Katathong Golf Resort & Spa in Phang Nga, Thailand
16. Hole 10 at Grand Prix Golf Club in Kanchanaburi, Thailand
17. Hole 14 at Blue Canyon Country Club, Canyon Course in Phuket, Thailand