Chiang Mai Highlands Golf and Spa Resort is a great 27 hole complex, with many memorable holes. However, to us, one sticks out amongst the others for it’s level of fun and that’s hole 4 on the Highlands Course (B Course). This is a downhill par 4, coming just after a difficult up-hill par 4 which is the most difficult on the course, the 4th hole gives golfers a chance to breathe and enjoy the game again after likely taking a solid beating on the 3rd hole! Playing downhill all the way, this hole provides golfers with two choices – the choice to get out the driver and try to hit it as far down the fairway as possible where, if accurate, leaves a short 2nd shot into the green or play a bit more conservative off the tee to a wider landing area, leaving a longer second shot it. The fairway narrows the further down towards the green you get, and water comes into play on the left if hitting driver, while on the right if wayward, it’s a blind shot over some trees and hills into the green with water behind. What’s the choice off the tee?
The hole plays 429 yards off the back tees, and a manageable 364 yards from the white tees. If playing from the whites, this means 264 yards downhill to get to the front of the water on the left. It might not sound reachable for most of us however, being downhill really means the water comes into play. If confident, get out the big stick and give it a whack, which should leave less than a 100 yard pitch into the green. Ideal line is the bunker on the right of the green, to take out most of the water especially when the flag is in the left third of the green.
If you’re unsure if you can keep the driver straight, a 3 wood or 4 iron will work just fine, knock it down into the wider landing area leaving 125-150 yards left for the 2nd shot. If you stick to the left edge of the fairway however, it is possible the water will come into play for the 2nd shot.
The green on this excellent Chiang Mai Highlands hole is well protected, with water left and back, and bunkers front left and front right. It is slightly crowned and a popular spot to miss is short or right. No matter if you laid up off the tee or went for it, a shot that leaks off to the left will be in all sorts of danger with the large lake off to the left. The most difficult pin position is back right, and we definitely recommend not to get too cute on this hole when the pin is over there, and just aim for the middle of the green. It will slope towards the water on the left so if landing somewhere left-center, the ball should funnel down further towards the hole.
The green is relatively large, and can leave for some long putts. It is important you are somewhere around the flag, to avoid an extremely long putt, or two putt, to get in. The green isn’t overly tricky or difficult, however there are some slopes to navigate and your experienced Chiang Mai Highlands caddie will be able to guide you around these to help you get down in two or less.
All-in-all this is a very enjoyable hole, with some fantastic views and different opportunities to score. Another enjoyable hole in the Thailand golf scene, and one to include when on a Thailand golf holiday in Chiang Mai.
Have you played here before? Tell us on our Facebook page if you went for it, or laid up!
All Holes in the Series
1. Hole 9B at Springfield Royal in Hua Hin, Thailand
2. Hole 18 at Nikanti Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand
3. Hole 16 at Sea Pines Golf Course in Hua Hin, Thailand
4. Hole 5 on Sugar Cane at Siam Country Club – Plantation Course in Pattaya, Thailand
5. Hole 15 at Banyan Golf Club in Hua Hin, Thailand
6. Hole 8 at Red Mountain Golf Club in Phuket, Thailand
7. Hole 11 at Black Mountain Golf Club in Hua Hin, Thailand
8. Hole 15 at Chee Chan Golf Resort in Pattaya, Thailand
9. Hole 16 at Subhapruek Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand
10. Hole 18 at Blue Canyon Country Club, Lakes Course in Phuket, Thailand
11. Hole 4B at Chiang Mai Highlands Golf and Spa Resort in Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Hole 8 at Riverdale Golf Club in Bangkok, Thailand
13. Hole 18 at Siam Country Club Old Course in Pattaya, Thailand
14. Hole 1 at Alpine Golf & Sports Club in Bangkok, Thailand
15. Hole 10 at Katathong Golf Resort & Spa in Phang Nga, Thailand
16. Hole 10 at Grand Prix Golf Club in Kanchanaburi, Thailand
17. Hole 14 at Blue Canyon Country Club, Canyon Course in Phuket, Thailand